April 27, 2023
To: LaGrand Township Residents
Re: Notification of upgrading all mailbox systems to the Swing Safe Mailbox Supports
LaGrand Town Board will be upgrading al mailbox support systems to the Swing SAFE support system, similar to that adopted by the Douglas County Highway Department and to be in compliance with Minnesota Statue 169.072. The Swing SAFE support system for mailboxes makes it safer for road users and offers more effective snowplowing and grading by the mailboxes and essentially leads to less mailbox damage.
LaGrand Township will have all the mailbox support systems installed. The cost of the support system will be provided by LaGrand Township. The contractor will then mount the resident’s current mailbox to the newly installed mailbox support system, if transferrable. If the resident’s current mailbox is not transferrable, the resident will be responsible for purchasing their own mailbox and installing it on the Swing SAFE support.
LaGrand Township will begin the installation of the mailbox support system in 2023 on the roads that have the greatest snow removal concerns. LaGrand Township will continue the project in phases over the next couple of years until every resident in the township has a Swing SAFE mailbox support system.
Damage to a resident’s mailbox with the Swing SAFE mailbox support system by a township snowplow or equipment will be replaced by the township up to $30. No reimbursement will be allowed if mailbox is not on a Swing SAFE support system.
The LaGrand Town Board
Encroachments are not allowed in the Township Road Right of Way which includes, metal posts, fiber posts, wood posts, landscape walls, sprinkler systems, etc. The only things allowed in the Township Road Right of Way are mailboxes, E-911 signs, official road signs and public utilities. Encroachments in the Township Road Right of way are a liability to both the landowner and the Township. This is mandated by Minnesota Statutes. If you have any encroachments in the Township Road Right of Way please remove them immediately.
*Please spray or cut your noxious weeds in the Township. If you have any weed concerns please feel free to contact Kelly Beilke, Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 763-7482.
* Please remember not to throw your grass clippings, leaves, tree limbs/sticks in the township ditch in the Township Road right of way.
* Please do not plow snow across Township Roads and right of ways.
* Please remember during summer landscape projects that you keep all lawn watering systems, landscape block, trees, pedestals out of the township right of way. The only things legally allowed in the Township right of way is mailboxes, public utilities and E-911 signs.
* Burning permits are obtained from the DNR website www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/fire
* Boring private utilities underneath township roads and right-of-ways is not allowed as these lines cannot be located by Gopher One locate and are dangerous to utility workers and road maintenance workers. Only public utilities are allowed in Township Roads and right of ways.